Wednesday, November 14, 2007

change huh?



so on saying my goodbyes to fellow krew members back home, my friend brian told me he wanted to see a change in me when I come back home. With that i have a month before I make a decision on a opportunity that will change my life forever. So i'm sometimes a ceramic artist...its pretty good stuff, I work hard for it and its interesting to me. Through Anna and her hagwon sansangnem I met a guy who lives in the shigol that would teach me and let me work by his side. He has many traditional skills, including the earlier blue celadon glaze, very beautiful and subtle. I'd move in, sleep, eat and work with this guy, monday through friday for an entire year! In a year I could hopefully learn about building kilns, loading and firing techniques, ceramic philosophies and throwing and decorating techniques. All in a Korean environment and style. It would be very unique to acquire these skills and potentially could become a professional of my own. I play with very abstract shapes and decorations, very spontaneous in my brush strokes and don't correlate accordingly(now i know) but with this chance I will learn tradition forms to functional ware.
this is some recent folky, but my ultimate function was the butter dish given to my friend maudie

I need a taste of that instead of the abstract do what you will teachings of american Unis. I should probably plan on graduation college though I could see myself in an uptown/downtown studio throwing and selling my things to northern clay center and 10k festival. but i'm getting ahead of myself, this would be such a huge commitment, all day long working with clay, sounds cool and all but its hard ass work and I gotta man up to be prepared to handle this load. I may be in a peaceful mindstate or I may be driven into deep contemplation of life and meaning. I'll be sending you guys lots of letters to keep me sane. So it seems I can't pass this opportunity up, I should probably go home and say hi to mommy and tell her the news but we'll see.

No comments:

closet picture

closet picture